Summer In Cleveland
Since 2008, Hillel has coordinated a summer internship and leadership program as a way for students to grow professionally and become connected to Cleveland. Interns have been placed at businesses in fields of advertising, bio-tech, communication, consulting, finance, real estate, industry, insurance and at non-profits.
In order to better serve undergraduate aged students in Cleveland and its Jewish community Cleveland Hillel moved from an academic year program to a year round program by starting a Summer Internship and Leadership Program in the summer of 2008. With the support of The Cleveland Foundation and the Strengthening and Growing Jewish Cleveland initiative of the Jewish Federation of Cleveland the program was initiated for Jewish undergraduate students from the Cleveland area who are attending universities outside of Cleveland or undergraduate students attending universities in the Cleveland Hillel Foundation's catchment area.
Undergraduate students were placed at different businesses and non-profit organizations. Most of them worked four days per week at their placements, and came together on Fridays to attend professional growth seminars, connect with the Jewish community, plan social programs for themselves and their peers, and explore Cleveland neighborhoods such as University Circle, Ohio City, Tremont, downtown Cleveland, and Lakewood. The goals of the internship program are to:
- Offer undergraduate students first-hand knowledge of the Greater Cleveland business and nonprofit communities.
- Provide meaningful career-related work experience
- Increase local organizations' capacity to conduct important short-term projects
- Stimulate interest in a career and life in the Cleveland area
- Expose students to a broad range of Cleveland opportunities
- Increase understanding and interaction with the local Jewish community
- Having interns develop summer educational and social programs for their peers
For more information on summer of 2011 program Click here
For more information on social programs Click here